Thursday, January 15, 2009

Level Review: "Illumination" by Orangenirvana

"Illumination"


I happen to come a cross this funky level design by Orangenirvana. I don't think I came across a level this funky in LBP user designed level yet. You can say it is a "study" in LBP lighting usage, or an essay about "light and dark" composition, or just pure plain fun with lights while making this level. My reaction at first was "WTF!", but very quickly you get the big picture.

"Illumination" is a typical straight forward horizontal/vertical platform level where you go from point A to B. What is not not typical is the fact that aside from illuminated floating elements and strategically placed lights in the game, the entire level is pitch black. It is really hard to describe the level in general so you will have to experience it yourself. Here is the video clip on Youtube:



After seeing the level, I wonder if the level would be as attractive if the lights were all turned on and we see the inner workings of the level. Maybe one day Orangenirvana will provide us with that answer. Tell me what you think about the level after you experienced it. Love to know what you think.

My rating for this level:
Overall Impression: B-
Replay Value: C+ (just to figure out what the hell was going on)
Storyline: N/A (doesn't have one)
Craftmanship: N/A (can't see it)
Prizes and Gifts: D

1 comment:

OrangeNirvana said...

Hello. This is OrangeNirvana. Glad to see you liked the level. I'm quite flattered to see it's acually on a website with a review. I vaguely recalled reading a comment on the level from someone who taped it and was going to write a review online. I'm assuming it was you. Thank you. Acually, the illusion the level is meant to cast would cease to function with the lights on. Most of my thought was bent towards playing with different lighting effects and whatnot. it was more an experiment than anything to inspire future ideas into better executed levels. I'm in the process of making some more with the new tools LBP put up for d/l universal lighting and the works. Look out for them.