Friday, January 9, 2009

Level Review: "Leo's Haunted Castle" by Sideshoweric

"Leo's Haunted Castle"

I thought the level was much better thought out compared to "Leo's farm". There were alot of elements in the game that were very ingenious and unique. The level is very simple in its layout, but still had its puzzling moments. Example, [spoiler alert] I thought the table on the second floor of the first part of the castle was the way to get to the roof, so I kept on trying to climb out the window to get to the roof, until the timing of the draw bridge coming up made me realized that I was going at it the wrong way.

[spoiler alert]I am not sure if there was a different way to get to the "sofa moving" room aside from coming down from the roof... But the sofa moving part was pretty ingenious, you gave the player just enough hints (like the photo taking). It really makes you think... "why is this couch so special that warrants a photo".

The middle part of the castle, at the towers, was ok, but i thought something else could have made it more mysterious than have to climb up to come right back down again. If there was something that you need to get (like the key similar to the next tower), it would have been pretty nifty... but i don't think it hurts from the storyline.

Similar to the corn field in Leo's Farm, the cemetary part was very well thought out. The spiders and the tombstone forces you to have to take advantage of the different "planes" of the LBP world.

Music goes very well with the level design. I wouldn't categorize it as "cute" (leo's farm was "cute"). I just wish the level got more exposure and play time.

I hearted the level, and will spread the word out, maybe sideshoweric will get more recognition and more play time. Good job!

I give this level as follow:
Overall Impression: B-
Replay Value: C
Story Line: B
Craftsmanship: B+
Prize and Gifts: C

No comments: