Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Level Review: "Little Big Dreamer (v 2.2)" by armyless

"Little Big Dreamer (v 2.2)"

I found this fellow LBP creator, Armyless, last night while reviewing some of the feedbacks from people who played "The Mine" or "SWAT - The Plane". I would have to say, Armyless is now one of my hearted LBP level designer. The vision of his LBP levels are not conventional (Armyless - please forgive me if I generalized your gender by using "his" in this review) , they are a bit "out there", but this "out of the box" approach is what attracted me to his levels.

"Little Big Dreamer (v 2.2)", I believe, is his first published creation. The storyline is about your character trying to help someone or thing to fall asleep, since its been up playing LBP for days (I thought that in-game comment was hilarious). The antagonist or the "bad guy" of the level, Dreamweaver, will try to prevent you from accomplishing your task.

The elements used to create this level is very eclectic. Armyless seems to use almost everything that he had at his disposal (at the time) to create this level. I am especially interested in his use of "floating" elements and glass. [spoiler alert] My favorite stage of the game would have to be the part where you build the bridge to cross an electrified path using "counting sheeps". At first, I could not figure out what was going on... To the left of the screen you constantly see "Z"s flying off; a platform with footsteps; a sticker with "R1". To right of the screen, you find a button with a weird circle sticker; an electrified path; a suspended moon. After testing some sequence combinations, I realized that you are to "fling" the "Z"s toward the suspended moon to make a counting sheep appear. The sheep will push the circular drum (after you push the button on the left) over the electrified path to build a bridge, so you can get to the other side. Wheew! That was a mouthful. Can't really describe it, so I made the video clip below (thanks to armyless for allowing me post this clip). After you figure out the process, sit back and enjoy the bridge building, and ponder... "How the hell did he come up with the mechanics to make this happen? And what was the idea that triggered this particular design?".

Immediately after the bridge, is the battle against the Big Boss, Dreamweaver. You are on a movable suspended platform where you have to shoot Dreamweaver using the paintball gun, while he is shooting back at you like a mad man. Some how in the middle of this madness, there is a logical way to beat Dreamweaver. Good thing there is a double life check point on the suspended platform (This was a good touch to prevent players from getting frustrated and give up early in the battle). Unfortunately, for me, I was shot as my final paint pellet hit Dreamweaver, preventing me to move on and get my deserved reward (score bubbles will spewing out from above). A draw, in a classic pistol dual. This did not discourage me from wanting to go at it again. So the second time, I was prepared. Here is the video clip (again, I thank armyless for allowing me to use this clip).

Some criticism... There is a box of score bubbles near the turning eyes in the beginning that I have no idea how to get to. Also, I didn't particularly understand the need for the room with two floating elements. I was able to pull the grey floater out, move in front of it and proceed to the next check point. Maybe if the two floaters was to exchange places? If that room was omitted or simplified, it might make the game play smoother.

I hearted the level. Armyless, please send me news on your next level when it is ready! Keep on Creating!

I give this level as follow:
Overall Impression: B+
Replay Value: B
Story Line: B
Craftsmanship: B-
Prizes and Gifts: C

No comments: