Friday, December 5, 2008

Level Review: "Escape from Alcatraz!" by fords30

"Escape from Alcatraz!"


I thought the level's concept and story line was very well thought out. The mission is simple: Escape from Alcatraz. The environment was deliciously crafted with attention to alot of details. Reocurring characters that appears repeatedly is a plus in developing the story line. I loved the combination lock part near the middle of the game. One of the in-game character gives you the lock combination early in the game - 4 easy numbers to remember, but who would take the time to write it down? I trusted my short term memory and decided to continue with the level (mumbling the combination as I played on). By the time I got to the combination lock stage, I had a bit of trouble trying to get the numbers correct. So write it down if you try this level.

The escape from the actual physical structure was only part 1 of this level. There is a long boat ride after you leave the island. It almost felt it would never end. But I am glad that at the end of the boat ride, the creator rewards you with a photograph of a WANTED poster with your character in the center.

I wished there were more "correction officer" robots patrolling the joint. Maybe some more hidden pasages and rooms that contains unique prizes, so the procession is not too linear, allowing the player to explore this complex labyrinth.

I give this level as follow:
Overall Impression: B+
Replay Value: B
Story Line: A-
Craftsmanship: A
Prize and Gifts: B-

No comments: